Sunday, September 09, 2007

Update

Just call me a slacker. Though, I must say that I have great reason to have been slacking. Things have been very stressful and I have been trying to keep myself out of trouble. NOT easy if you are me!!

The house is wonderful and we have finally gotten to enjoy a few of our home grown tomatoes. Nothing like a freshly grown and picked tomatoes. We have used our air conditioners all summer and our electric bill hasn't been more than we were used to in the apt. We still haven't gotten a water bill, which is perplexing, so we are hoping that we don't get like a $1000 water bill soon. We have NO clue as to how much water should be . .

DP got a job and started this past week. While we are pleased as pie that she has a job, it wasn't as much money as we thought and some of the terms and conditions of the offer are in need of some adjustment. She is excited about the new prospect and says the people she has met so far are great.

On my job front, things are horrendous. I am still amazed at the things my supervisor and director can get away with. Though I guess when they help run a program that brings in 15 millions dollars a year, they can do what the hell they damn well please. I am not longer able to be a part of this mission. I don't agree with what they are doing, and I am less and less tolerant of a job that makes me feel like shit day in and day out.

The good news is that I have been sought out for a grant funded position based out of the local city. There are several things I would like to point out about the position. The job calls for a licensed social worker who will work to assist low income families in the inner city who have a child suspected of having autism or who have been recently diagnosed with autism.

I am way excited about this opportunity to work collaboratively with this project, and feel the opportunities to learn about grant writing and the workings of a start up agency will serve me well into the future. I am also flattered, and slightly overwhelmed at the extent in which they have been recruiting me. My internship last year at the local children's hospital and autism center has helped, as my name was getting around and thus the call I received a few months ago about this.

What I am nervous about it the following. I work currently with affluent and middle class families who have children on the spectrum. I have NO experience working with inner city families, much less experience conducting home visits in some of the roughest areas in the city. I am nervous about these challenges, and am seeking ways to feel better about them.

I met with the director last week and they hope to have an official offer this week. The benefits and such seems good-though the position is only funded though next June. In speaking with the financial guru in this agency, she shared with me that they are already searching for funding for next year. She also told me that if for some reason the funding doesn't come through, if they like you, they will try really hard to find you something either with their agency or elsewhere. She told me she felt that since autism is the hot topic right now, chances of the program NOT being funded next year is slim--IF I DO A GREAT JOB!! No pressure or anything . . .

I am looking forward to giving my notice . .though I know that they will make it very challenging for me in the last few weeks once I tell them.

I guess that is it for now. I just wanted to give a quick update for my one reader . . .

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I hope this new opportunity comes through for you. I know how disappointed you've been with your current position.