Wednesday, October 29, 2008

San Diego-Day 3

Today was my whirlwind tour of San Diego. Sorry Rebecky, but LaJolla was not in the cards for this trip. I started on the tour at 2:15 and got back to the hotel at 10pm . . . The tour was great, and here are some highlights. I have to say that I am sooo mad at my camera. We have rechargeable batteries--three of them to be exact and all three were charged before I left. None of them worked for more than a few pictures, and I had to buy regular batteries which the camera just ate up quickly. Not good for mass picture taking. Oh well. Maybe someone will get us a new one for Christmas. Here's a photo of a coast guard ship from the ferry to Coronado.


A neat picture of a ship on the bay. Nice photo if I say so myself.



















There's a thing called Urban Trees, where there are sculptures such as these along the road that borders the bay. This was an awesome one . . .














Cactus garden in Balboa park. There were some FUNKY cacti in this place. The views were fantastic . . .wanted to stay longer, but I didn't have much time to gallivant while on the tour.












Also in Balboa Park--there were lots of globes that were decorated with earth saving themes . . .I liked this one best. They lined on of the walkways, and also surrounded the fountain.










Balboa Park--beautiful and so not enough time to see everything . . .

This morning started with me accompanying my co-worker and her partner to the courthouse so they could be married. It was amazing to see them, and the other couples who had come to be joined in marriage. I am amazed to hear the commercials here in California that are in opposition of same sex marriage--some are down right mean. I also heard someone in Philly donated $900,000 to California to help the fight to ban same sex marriage. I know there are all sorts on many different sides of this issue, but I have to say, for a brief moment today I felt like there was hope that I, and others like me, could feel the experience the same things that other people get to experience.

Sigh . . .ok, I need to go to bed as my presentation is tomorrow at 8am. Wish me luck!

(ps--this is so not checked for grammar and spelling, so please forgive me. I am BEAT!)

7 comments:

Daisy said...

Awesome pics! I hate intolerance.

Daisy said...

PS. What about those Phillies? :-)

beans said...

Daisy-Thanks. It was a very quick, but fun trip. I here things are crazy in Philly--they had to call in the riot police last night due to crazy fans in the streets breaking into businesses, overturning cars, and starting fires. Seems Philly can even manage to mess up a celebration. The parade is going right by my building tomorrow, but I am hanging in TX!!

Lynilu said...

SD is a beautiful area, isn't it? I've been there a couple times, and I really enjoyed it.

I don't get why people get like that. I just don't, and I never will.

beans said...

Lyn-It was so nice--great weather. Would have been better if DP was there to enjoy with me. I hate eating along, and it was hard to be by myself a lot. I guess someone could say it was therapeutic to have this experience to bond with myself . . .

Anonymous said...

I love your photos, so cool. I wish I was there! I know exactly what you mean about the stupid batteries, I hate when that happens.

The same sex marriage issue is so frustrating. I don't understand why people just can't others live and be. I don't get all the opposition, ignorance and anger...totally don't understand. I pray that some day it will be different.

Glad you had this trip.

beans said...

Cheryl-I am glad I went. I was very nervous about all the solo travel, but it was a good time and learning experience.